Empowering Individuals through Emotional Support on the Cancer Journey
A cancer support group is a group of people who come together around common experiences, problems, or characteristics and who meet to provide each other with emotional and moral cancer support, information, and guidance. At CanCare, cancer support groups are centered on the cancer journey and emotional cancer support for the journey. It allows people to get different perspectives and experiences about dealing with cancer. Though the participants in the cancer support groups share an experience with cancer, each journey is as individual as the person on the journey. In cancer support groups both listening and talking are encouraged.
Fostering Emotional Safety and Shared Experiences
CanCare cancer support groups are facilitated by a licensed professional counselor who ensures the emotional safety and cancer support of participants. Each group begins with an explanation of the purpose of the group, some guidelines including confidentiality and the format of the meeting. Quick introductions of each participant, including where they are in the country and their cancer connection follows the introduction. A CanCare volunteer leads the cancer support group meeting by sharing their experience, the challenges they encountered, how they coped and where they are now in their journey.
Benefits Of Joining A Cancer Support Group:
- Feeling less lonely, isolated or judged
- Reducing distress, depression, anxiety or fatigue
- Talking openly and honestly about your feelings
- Improving skills to cope with challenges
- Staying motivated to manage chronic conditions or stick to treatment plans
- Gaining a sense of empowerment, control or hope
- Improving understanding of a disease and your own experience with it
Cancer support group members include CanCare volunteers, CanCare clients and people from the wider cancer community who have expressed an interest in attending. If you are interested in participating in an online cancer support group, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finding Strength in Community: Join Our Online Cancer Support Groups
You don’t have to face cancer alone. Join others living with cancer for cancer support. Our Online cancer support Groups are professionally facilitated, peer-led cancer support groups for people living with a cancer diagnosis. You’ll hear from a CanCare volunteer who is also living their way through cancer, and others on the journey.At CanCare we consider anyone living with cancer, from the point of diagnosis and onward a survivor. We will celebrate the victories, share the challenges and bear together the emotional impact of being a survivor.
You don't have to face cancer alone.
CanCare’s Online Cancer Support Groups
- Survivors cancer support Group: for anyone living with cancer from diagnosis onwards, 2nd Tuesday of the month at 4PM central time (please adjust for your time zone)
- Stage 4 Survivors support group, for cancer survivors living with stage 4 or advanced cancer on the 3rd Friday of the month, from noon - 1PM central time (please adjust the time according to your time zone)
- Caregiver support group - for those who love someone with cancer – the 2nd Thursday of each month at 12:00 noon central time. Please adjust and note the time for your time zone.
We hope you will join us.
Caregiver Support Group
Providing Strength and Support for Those Who Love Someone with Cancer
Loving someone who is living with a cancer diagnosis is a journey all of its own. It can be a tough journey but it doesn't have to be lonely. CanCare is here to support you, as the caregiver, on your journey through the effect of cancer on your life and the life of the person you love. Our Caregiver support group is a place to share the joys and challenges of caregiving. We are here for your because cancer affects everyone who loves a person with cancer. If you love someone with cancer, whether you are a spouse, parent, child, sibling, co-worker, friend – you may need cancer support also. You are not alone.
This is a professionally facilitated, peer-based cancer support group featuring a CanCare Volunteer Caregiver as a speaker. Come share in the experience strength and hope of our CanCare Volunteer Caregiver and join with others on the caregiver journey.